THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFO.
Are you an athletic woman considering getting breast augmentation? If so, you need to read this post or if you’re just curious about the things women go through after breast augmentation keep reading. 10 things you wish you knew before getting breast implants.
10 things you wish you knew before getting breast implants.
- You will probably cry, not because of the pain but out of frustration. You won’t be able to do many of the things that you used to do right away. Like wash your hair—forget about it. I had to have my boyfriend help me wash my hair because it hurt too much to have my arms above my shoulders for any amount of time. Turning your steering wheel—you will be doing it granny style (two hands and super slow). Trying to push yourself off the couch–rocking and using your own momentum to get up will hurt less.
- Save those old size small sports bras. Once you are able to work out again I suggest getting a sports bra that fits your new cup size (my new favorite) but then strapping the girls down with the smaller sports bra on top (my old favorites this one and this one) to keep them from flying around. I’ve found this especially useful when you go to start doing any kind of cardio and especially sprints or any other high impact activity. My doctor told me the less they move the better they will look in the long run.
- If you love jump roping, say goodbye to this activity for a while. I’m currently 4 months post op and it still doesn’t feel good to do these. At first it felt like I would knock myself out with my boobs LOL. Once you get back into the swing of things, you need to check out this speed rope. It will help you master your double unders in no time!
- Don’t buy new bras right away. Your boobs will drop in the first few weeks and they will still be a little swollen. I made the mistake of doing this and bought a 38D and then once my boobs settled in I became a 36C. Once all of the swelling went down, these are the bras that I ended up getting. They are super comfortable and very soft!
- Instead of buying bras right away I suggest buying the $5 Wal-Mart bralettes. These are a lifesaver. They are super stretchy, have adjustable straps and come in a variety of colors. Plus they are super easy to get on and comfortable. I’m wearing one right now!
- The night before your surgery, shave your legs, wash and style your hair and whatever other grooming and primping you normally do because you won’t want to do it the next few days after your surgery.
- Cut down on your calorie intake if you do not want to gain any weight. Going from lifting heavy 5-6 days a week with 2 15 minute HIIT and eating about 2200 calories a day to basically being a couch potato for the first couple of weeks, it is super easy to gain weight.
- Stock up on comfy clothes and easy to put on clothes, trust me or just lay around your house naked and say screw the clothes 🙂 These are by far my favorite leggings. They’re very basic, but they’re super soft, comfortable, cheap, and make your booty look great!
- Try to prep some meals the day before or in the days leading up to your surgery, especially if you are the main cook in the house like I am. I have so many containers at home, but these are the ones that I use the most.
- Once you get back into lifting again, make sure your form is on point and that you start off with very light weights. Even some exercises where you don’t think you use a lot of chest muscles (like lat pulldowns, Romanian chair leg raises and bench dips—the triceps variation) feel super weird. You can actually feel the implants moving and it was the weirdest feeling ever. My doctor said he didn’t want me to do any sort of chest exercises again after getting implants, not even pushups, but I know many other woman who have gotten implants and their doctors allow them to work chest. Each doctor and each individual is different, I do miss doing bench, but I’m playing it safe and listening to my doctor. You pay enough for these bad boys that you don’t want to mess them up or hurt yourself.
- I know I said 10 Things You Wish You Knew Before Getting Breast Implants, but to all of the ice cream addicts like me this is VERY important. Let the ice cream thaw out a little bit before trying to scoop it out. The scooping motion uses your chest muscles and I learned this the hard way as I was trying to scoop out my Santa’s White Christmas ice cream that I had been craving.
Hopefully this will help you have a better and speedy recovery. It’s no fun not being able to do what you’re normally capable of, but time will go by quick and then you’ll be back to your normally routine, but with nice perky breasts 🙂