What is a Blackstone Griddle? It's all people in the camping and grilling world are talking about. Is this flat top grill worth the hype?
The Blackstone is not your average griddle that you’d whip out on a Sunday morning to make pancakes and eggs on. You can totally make those, but the Blackstone is way more versatile.
Honestly, can you see yourself making a juicy steak on a normal old griddle?
You'll see people cook everything from breakfast to dessert and, of course, a juicy steak on a Blackstone. One of the easiest things to cook on a flat-top griddle is bacon; some people even do this to season their griddle.
Also, you'll see people refer to it as a Blackstone Grill; they use grill and griddle interchangeably.
One of the tastiest recipes to cook on a Blackstone is pork chops. They come out so juicy and nice and seared on the edges. You can even make some of these copycat recipes on the Blackstone.
I love my Blackstone Griddle for everything from pancakes to potstickers! I especially enjoy cooking whole meals on it, and thanks to the larger sized griddle's individual heating zones, I can control the temperatures so that my meat, veggies, and sides are all cooked perfectly at the same time! - Chef Jenn Allen, Cook What You Love
If you're looking for more recipes, check out this post on the Best Blackstone Recipes for any occasion.
What is a Blackstone Griddle?
A Blackstone griddle is a type of outdoor cooking appliance that has a flat, rectangular cooking surface made of cold-rolled steel or cast iron. It is similar to a grill in that it has an ignition switch and burners, but it does not have grill grates nor access to open flame.
The flat cook top allows you to cook more foods than a grill, for example an entire hibachi dinner. Whereas with a grill the rice would simply fall into the flames beneath the grill grates.
Blackstone griddles come in different sizes. Larger ones are popular for backyard BBQs, and smaller ones are perfect for traveling, whether you're using it in your RV or even a converted Sprinter van.
Some people even use their griddles to meal prep. You can cook a lot of food at the same time and cook at different temperatures. Whether using a cast iron skillet to sauté, an aluminum pan to fry, or the flat top to make hibachi.
Some models may include a hood or a cover to protect the cooking surface. Others, while they might not have a hood, come with shelves, cabinets, cutting boards, garbage bag hangers, paper towel holders, or even air fryers.
All of the models come with a rear grease trap that is easy to empty. You can even get the little aluminum foil throw-away tins to make cleanup easier.
They also come with a plastic squeeze bottle that you can fill with your desired oil. Avocado oil is preferred by many because it is a high-heat oil.
How To Use a Blackstone Griddle
- Preheat the griddle — Ignite the Blackstone and turn the burners to the desired temperature. Allow the griddle to heat prior to putting any food on the surface..
- Prepare Your Food— While the griddle is heating up, gather and prepare the ingredients. Look ahead at your recipes because some may need to marinate for a bit beforehand.
- Add Fat or Oil — Add a coat of oil to the top of the griddle. If your food has a marinade that has oil in it you can skip this step.
- Cook Your Food — Place your food on the hot surface and cook it until it is done to your liking or as your recipe advises.
- Clean the Griddle — After you're finished cooking, turn off the burners and allow the griddle to cool down. Once it is cool, use a scraper or spatula to remove any leftover food. Next, remove any remaining grease or food using a wet rag or soft sponge. Do not use soap while cleaning the griddle. Don't forget to empty the rear grease management system (grease trap).
Do You Have To Season a Blackstone?
Yes, please do not skip this step. It is essential for your Blackstone to function properly. If you don’t season your griddle, your food will stick terribly.
Blackstone Products has a great tutorial on how to season your griddle, but here's the gist.
- Wash the griddle with soapy water and rinse with clean water. This should be the only time that you use soap on your griddle.
- Turn on the burners and heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the burners and spread a thin layer of cooking oil over the surface, using a paper towel to spread it out. Caution it will be hot, and gloves or tongs are recommended.
- Turn the burners back on and heat the oil until it begins to smoke. Typically this takes around 30 minutes, but it depends on the heat, size, and how much oil you applied. Once all the smoke is gone, turn off the burners.
- Repeat the above steps for 2 to 3 more rounds until the entire surface has become dark brown and is thoroughly seasoned.
- After the final round, swipe an additional layer of oil onto the flat top.
Why Is My Blackstone Rusting?
- Lack of seasoning — If your griddle was not properly seasoned, the seasoning can wear off over time. This makes the surface vulnerable to rust. Seasoning helps create a protective layer on the griddle. It’s important to properly season your griddle before you use it for the first time and occasionally re-season it after many uses.
- Exposure to moisture — If your griddle is exposed to rain, snow, humidity, or other forms of moisture, chances are likely that it will be prone to rusting. Remember to cover your griddle properly and if possible store it inside and away from mother nature.
- Improper cleaning — Using abrasive cleaning tools or soap or other harsh chemicals on your griddle can damage the seasoning of your griddle. Use a soft cloth, sponge, or paper towels when removing food and grease from the surface. When using your metal scraper, make sure to not press down too firmly or you could scrape away some of the seasoning.
- Age and wear — It’s inevitable that over time, even a well-maintained griddle can rust. It’s an easy fix though. Simply re-season your griddle to return it to perfect working condition.
To prevent rusting on your Blackstone griddle, properly season it before using it for the first time and regularly after that as needed. If you notice rust on your griddle, remove the current seasoning and re-season the griddle to restore its cooking surface.
Blackstone Products has this great tutorial on how to remove rust from your griddle. Or if you're more into visuals, watch this Youtube video on how to remove rust from your Blackstone Griddle.
Can you Store a Blackstone Griddle Outside? Learn how to properly store a Blackstone to prevent it from rusting.
Why Buy a Blackstone?
- Versatility — Blackstones can be used to cook a wide variety of foods. From pancakes and eggs to burgers and steaks to stir-frying vegetables.
- Durability — If you season your Blackstone correctly and clean it after each use, your griddle will last for many years.
- Easy to Use — After the initial seasoning process, Blackstones are easy to use. They have an ignition switch and temperature controls so you can cook a variety of foods.
- Portability — Most Blackstones have wheels that make it easy to transport. There is also a tabletop griddle that is an excellent choice for tailgating and camping.
- Variety — Blackstone griddles come in various sizes, makes, and models. You can choose the one that best fits your needs.
A Blackstone griddle can be a versatile and perfect addition to your outdoor cooking arsenal. They provide a great way to cook a variety of delicious foods quickly and easily. Some of your favorite meals will be ones that you've made on the outdoor griddle.
This article originally appeared on Food Drink Life
Leave a Reply