Make the Juiciest Air Fryer New York Strip Steaks in no time at all! Cooking strip steaks in an air fryer is incredibly easy. No need to go outside in a rain storm to get perfect medium rare NY Strip Steaks.
- Air Fryer Strip Steaks
- Why you’ll love strip steaks in an air fryer
- Tips & Tricks
- Tools for this easy recipe
- How to make NY strip steaks in an air fryer
- Stovetop + Oven Directions
- What to serve with air fryer strip steaks
- How to store cooked strip steaks
- How to reheat air fryer strip steaks
- PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Air Fryer Strip Steaks
New York Strip Steaks are often sought after for their bold beef flavor. However, sometimes the thought of warming up the grill can seem a bit daunting. By utilizing your air fryer for cooking strip steaks, you are taking a lot of the prep and work out of the equation!
After sprinkling the strip steaks with a little salt and pepper, and only 12 minutes of cook time, you’ll be sitting down to a tender and flavorful steak in no time.
Why you’ll love strip steaks in an air fryer
- Quick and Easy Recipe – Cooking New York strip steak in the air fryer gives you all the amazing flavor without all the fuss of starting the grill. The best part is that clean-up is a breeze.
- Keto & Paleo Recipe – Steak is naturally low carb, and top it with butter or ghee to add even more fat content.
- 2 NY Strip Steaks (~12oz each)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- optional butter or blue cheese compound butter
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to preheat your air fryer for at least 5 minutes prior to cooking. This will give you that beautiful and flavor-filled sear on your steak.
- Let your steak come to room temperature before air frying. This will give you a more even cook.
- After cooking, allow the steak to rest 5 minutes before cutting into it.
Tools for this easy recipe
I have 2 air fryers, but the Cosori Air Fryer is my favorite! Also, you will need a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your steaks. It should read between 133-135F when you remove it from the air fryer basket for a perfect medium rare!
How to make NY strip steaks in an air fryer
- Let the steaks rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 390F.
- Cook for 6 minutes, then flip the steaks over and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Check with a meat thermometer and remove once an internal temperature reaches 133-135F for medium rare steaks.
Note: If you don’t let the steaks come to room temperature before cooking them, you will need to increase the cooking time.
It is very important to check the internal temperature of your steak! Below is a chart for the doneness of steaks. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the steak.
- Medium Rare: internal temperature is 133-135F.
- Medium: internal temperature of 140F,
- Medium Well: internal temperature of 150
Stovetop + Oven Directions
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Let the steak get to room temperature (around 30 minutes)
- Season the strip steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over high heat.
- Add a little avocado oil to the hot skillet and place the steaks in the skillet. I prefer cast iron if I’m cooking a steak on the stove top and finishing it off in the oven.
- Sear steak for 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer steak to a preheated oven at 425F.
- Cook until it reaches your desire doneness.
- Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
- If you don’t have any strip steaks, you can use a ribeye, sirloin or T-bone steak. You’ll want to be sure it’s a thicker steak, because thin steaks will cook more quickly and won’t be medium rare at the stated cooking time.
- If you have a favorite steak seasoning, you can use that instead of the salt and pepper listed.
What to serve with air fryer strip steaks
Pair this steak with your favorite veggie for a delicious and quick meal. If you love your air fryer as much as I do, try my Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts or Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus. You could also try my Asparagus on the Blackstone Griddle, or Blackstone Green Beans.
How to store cooked strip steaks
- Store leftover strip steak in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
How to reheat air fryer strip steaks
- Remove the lid from the container or transfer it to a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 60-90 seconds on high.
- If you’d prefer to reheat in the air fryer, place the strip steak in the air fryer basket. Cook at 350 for 2-3 minutes or until at desired temperature.
A strip steak has a similar flavor to a ribeye. The main difference is that a ribeye has internal fat marbling, while a strip steak has a layer of fat on the outside. This layer of fat contributes to the delicious flavor of the meat.
Yes. This particular cut of meat was originally made popular by a number of restaurants in New York City, thus the name “New York Strip.”
Strip steaks, ribeyes, and T-bones are already tender so they don’t need a marinade to tenderize them. Whereas tougher cuts of meat like skirt steak, flank or cheaper cuts of meat will need a marinade.
Air Fryer New York Strip Steaks
- 2 12oz NY Strip Steaks
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Let the steaks rest at room temp for 30 min
- Pre heat the air fryer for 5 min at 390F
- Cook for 6 minutes, then flip the steaks over and cook for an additional 6 minutes
- Check with a meat thermometer and remove once an internal temperature reaches 133-135F for medium rare steaks