This is the easiest Instant Pot rump roast recipe you'll ever make! Whether you make this rump roast in an Instant Pot, pressure cooker or slow cooker, this dish is something the entire family will love!
- The Best Instant Pot Rump Roast Recipe
- Why you'll love this recipe
- The Easiest Pressure Cooker Rump Roast Recipe
- Ingredients to make the best beef rump roast
- How to make a rump roast in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Step by step images on how to make a pot roast with a rump roast
- How to Store
- Instant Pot Rump Roast FAQs
- How to cook a rump roast without an Instant Pot
- How to make a rump roast tender
- Other names for rump roast
- More Instant Pot Recipes to try
- More delicious beef recipes
- HOW TO COOK A RUMP ROAST WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
- PIN FOR LATER
The Best Instant Pot Rump Roast Recipe
Have you ever gone to the grocery store and bought a rump roast because it's cheap and a lot of meat? Well I did, but then thought to myself, what to do with a rump roast?
Obviously it's a beef roast, but not the type that you make tender roast beef with.
Instead this type of beef is tougher and you need to make it tender by either cooking it for a while or cooking it under pressure. I opted to make a beef rump roast pressure cooker recipe!
I grew up with my dad using a stove top pressure cooker, and I was super afraid that it was going to explode every time he used it.
So today we're making a pot roast recipe in an electric pressure cooker! You'll literally get the most tender pot roast recipe in a fraction of the time!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Budget friendly: This recipe uses minimal ingredients, all of which you can get at your local grocery store. Plus, rump roasts are cheaper cuts of meat!
- Quick and easy: making a deliciously tender roast is quick when you use your Instant Pot. Have dinner done in just over an hour with little hands on cooking time.
- Seasonal Vegetables - this Instant Pot Roast is great for making in the fall or winter. If you grow your own vegetables or get them from a local farmer, this recipe is a great way to use up fall vegetables.
The Easiest Pressure Cooker Rump Roast Recipe
I absolutely LOVE using my Instant Pot to cook foods that normally take HOURS to make like this beef rump roast recipe. Since getting my Instant Pot, my crockpot has been gathering dusk in my kitchen cabinet.
I know this recipe may seem that it has a few extra steps with having to cook on the sauté setting, but it more than makes up for it with the short cooking time.
And one of the best things about this easy beginner recipe is that there aren't any fancy ingredients! All of the ingredients can be found at a normal grocery store.
Ingredients to make the best beef rump roast
- sweet or yellow onion
- olive oil
- red wine
- beef rump roast
- Montreal Seasoning
- beef bone broth or beef stock
- baby carrots
- russet potatoes or baby potatoes
How to make a rump roast in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- First turn the Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Add the sliced onions, shallot and olive oil to the bottom of the pot and cook for ~5 minutes.
- Then hit the cancel button. Next add the wine to deglaze.
- After that add the rump roast, sprinkle with the Montreal seasoning. If you don't have Montreal Seasoning you can substitute with salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Next, add the beef broth.
- Then hit "manual" on Instant Pot, cook on high pressure and increase time to 40 minutes (make sure the knob is set to locked).
- After 40 minutes is up. Preform a quick release (turn it from sealed to venting), and add in your sliced carrots and potatoes.
- Replace the top, turn nob to locked, hit manual and set time to 5 minutes. Once time is up, do NPR (natural release) for 15 minutes.
- If you want to make gravy, simply add some xanthan gum or corn starch to the liquid. You can make a slurry first with a few tablespoons of cold water to make it dissolve better if you want.
Step by step images on how to make a pot roast with a rump roast
- If you don't have a rump roast you can use a boneless chuck roast, eye of round roast, or a beef roast for this recipe.
How to Store
Before storing the leftovers, make sure that rump roast and vegetables cool down to room temperature. You don't want to be putting hot food into your fridge or freezer.
Transfer the leftovers to a glass airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Instant Pot Rump Roast FAQs
A rump roast is usually a sirloin cut from the bottom round (the cow's hind area). It doesn't have much fat so it's typically a tough piece of meat. That's why it's great to cook in a pressure cooker, Instant Pot or slow cooker.
A rolled rump roast it when you take a rump roast and roll it up and tie with with twine so that it holds it's shape.
A bottom round rump roast is just another name for a rump roast.
The time it takes to cook a rump roast depends on the cooking method. You can cook a rump roast in a pressure cooker in a little over an hour. In an oven it takes around 2 hours. You can also cook a rump roast in a slow cooker in 6-8 hours.
The rump roast and chuck roast are both tougher cuts of meat because they are muscles that the cow actively uses. They are full of connective tissue and collagen which makes them less tender. Of the two cuts, the rump roast is a little more tender than the chuck roast.
The rump roast is from the booty area aka RUMP area whereas the chuck is from the shoulder area. Both of these cuts have good flavor because they are from a more exercised area of the cow.
How to cook a rump roast without an Instant Pot
How to cook a rump roast in a slow cooker
One good thing about cooking with a crock pot is that you can basically throw all of the ingredients for the rump roast recipe in the slow cooker, set the timer and go about your day. But the down-fall is that it will take you 6 to 8 hours to cook your dinner.
How to cook a rump roast in an oven
- First you need to trim off the extra fat
- Heat a skillet with oil and brown rump roast on all sides
- Pre-heat oven to 325-350F and cook for 30 minutes per pound
- Medium rare meat is done at 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium well meat is done at 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well done meat is done at 160 degrees
How to make a rump roast tender
You can make a rump roast tender by braising it, roasting it in the oven, cooking it in a crock pot or cooking the rump roast in a pressure cooker.
Other names for rump roast
A rump roast is also called a bottom round oven roast or a bottom round roast in the US. In the UK a rump roast is also called a silverside.
More Instant Pot Recipes to try
If you loved this Instant Pot Rump Roast, check out these other Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Rice
- Low Carb Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Baby Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Ribs - Fall off the Bones Beef Ribs
- Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
More delicious beef recipes
- Air Fryer T-bone Steak
- Air Fryer Medium Rare Ribeye Steak
- Keto Ground Beef Casserole
- Low Carb Crockpot Beef Stew
HOW TO COOK A RUMP ROAST WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
Rump Roast Instant Pot Recipe
- 1 pressure cooker
- 1 sweet onion sliced ~½ inch
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 3 lb rump roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1.5 tablespoon montreal seasoning
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 4 carrots
- 3 russet potatoes chopped in 1 inch cubes
- Turn Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Add sliced onions, shallot and olive oil and cook for ~5 minutes.
- Hit cancel on Instant Pot. Add CK Mondavi Cab to deglaze.
- Add rump roast, sprinkle with montreal seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic).
- Add broth.
- Hit manual on Instant Pot and increase time to 40 minutes (make sure it is set to locked). Walk away and do a happy dance or sip on your cheese and nibble on apps.
- After 40 minutes is up. Do quick pressure release (turn it from sealed to venting), add in your baby carrots and potatoes (do this in a quickish manner).
- Replace the top, turn nob to locked, set to manual 5 minutes. Do NPR (natural pressure release) for 15 minutes.
PIN FOR LATER
Readers Favorite Recipes
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower is a great low carb alternative to potatoes! These Cauliflower mashed potatoes are deliciously buttery! Also, this mashed cauliflower recipe is low in carbs and is a healthy side dish!
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream comes out absolutely delicious in the Ninja CREAMi! You'll love it because it has minimal ingredients (no gums) and the texture is amazing!
Indulge in smoky perfection with this Traeger Smoked Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. Juicy pork meets crispy bacon for a flavor explosion!
Discover the best sides for chicken thighs! From creamy garlic mashed potatoes to crisp garden salads. Explore the best options to enhance your meal with juicy chicken thighs.
Whether you're looking for keto ice cream recipes, protein ice cream recipes, or decadent ones, this post has you covered! Today I'm sharing the best Ninja Creami Recipes!
What is the difference between a Ribeye vs. NY Strip Steak? Juicy tenderness vs. bold flavor. Uncover the ultimate steak battle! When you walk into a grocery store with the word "steak" on your grocery list, how do you decide which steak to choose from? Let's decide between two very common cuts of steak: New...