THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFO.
This is the easiest pressure cooker rump roast recipe you’ll ever make! Whether you make this rump roast in an Instant Pot, pressure cooker or slow cooker, this dish is something the entire family will love!
The Easiest Pressure Cooker Rump Roast Recipe
I absolutely LOVE using my Instant Pot to cook foods that normally take HOURS to make like this beef rump roast recipe. If you were to cook this rump roast in a crockpot or slow cooker, it would take HOURS!
I know some people absolutely love their crockpot, but since getting my Instant Pot, my crockpot has been gathering dusk in my kitchen cabinet.
I know this may seem that it has a few extra steps, but it more than makes up for it with the short cooking time.
WHAT IS A RUMP ROAST?
A rump roast is usually a sirloin cut from the bottom round.
WHAT IS A ROLLED RUMP ROAST?
taking a meat portion from the cow’s hind area, rolling it up and tying it with a twine so that it holds its shape.
WHAT IS A BOTTOM ROUND RUMP ROAST?
A bottom round rump roast is just another name for a rump roast.
HOW LONG TO COOK A RUMP ROAST?
It depends on the cooking method. You can cook a rump roast in a pressure cooking in a little over an hour, an oven in less than 2 hours and 6-8 hours with a slow cooker.
HOW TO COOK A RUMP ROAST
HOW TO COOK A RUMP ROAST IN CROCK POT
One good thing about cooking with a crock pot is that you can basically throw all of the ingredients for the rump roast recipe in the slow cooker, set the timer and go about your day. But the down-fall is that it will take you 6 to 8 hours to cook your dinner.
HOW TO COOK A RUMP ROAST IN OVEN
- First you need to trim off the extra fat
- Heat a skillet with oil and brown rump roast on all sides
- Pre-heat oven to 325-350F and cook for 30 minutes per pound
- Medium rare meat is done at 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium well meat is done at 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well done meat is done at 160 degrees
HOW TO MAKE A RUMP ROAST TENDER
You can make a rump roast tender by braising it, roasting it in the oven, cooking it in a crock pot or cooking the rump roast in a pressure cooker.
OTHER NAMES FOR RUMP ROAST
A rump roast is also called a bottom round oven roast or a bottom round roast in the US. In the UK a rump roast is also called a silverside.
RUMP ROAST VS CHUCK ROAST
The rump roast and chuck roast are both tougher cuts of meat because they are muscles that the cow actively uses. They are full of connective tissue and collagen which makes them less tender. Of the two cuts, the rump roast is a little more tender than the chuck roast.
The rump roast is from the booty area aka RUMP area whereas the chuck is from the shoulder area. Both of these cuts have good flavor because they are from a more exercised area of the cow.
HOW TO COOK A RUMP ROAST WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
Rump Roast Instant Pot Recipe
- 1 sweet onion sliced ~1/2 inch
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2-3 lb rump roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- montreal seasoning
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3 large potatoes chopped in 1 inch cubes
- Turn Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Add sliced onions, shallot and olive oil and cook for ~5 minutes.
- Hit cancel on Instant Pot. Add CK Mondavi Cab to deglaze.
- Add rump roast, sprinkle with montreal seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic).
- Add broth.
- Hit manual on Instant Pot and increase time to 40 minutes (make sure it is set to locked). Walk away and do a happy dance or sip on your cheese and nibble on apps.
- After 40 minutes is up. Do quick pressure release (turn it from sealed to venting), add in your baby carrots and potatoes (do this in a quickish manner).
- Replace the top, turn nob to locked, set to manual 5 minutes. Do NPR (natural pressure release) for 15 minutes.
If you loved this Instant Pot Rump Roast Recipe, then you’ll love these other Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Low Carb Cauliflower Soup Recipe with Bacon and Cheese
- Low Carb Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Ribs – Fall off the Bones Beef Ribs