THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFO.
Easy Instant Pot Basmati Rice. Make perfect white rice every time in your Instant Pot in less than 30 minutes!
I can’t believe I used to make rice on the stove top. Never again!
Making rice in the Instant Pot is insanely easy to make and you never have to worry about your rice boiling over! Better yet, you’ll have super fluffy white rice in less than 30 minutes.
My bestie Erica taught me this method to cook rice in the Instant Pot and I’ve never looked back.
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
Making rice has never been easier than when it’s made in your pressure cooker, well unless you get the pre-cooked microwaveable version that is! This basmati rice is perfect for side dishes, poke bowls, stuffed peppers, casseroles and more!
- Basmati Rice
How to make Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- In the Instant Pot, place the rice, water and salt. Next, place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure to set the knob to sealed.
- Hit “manual,” and choose low pressure. Cook rice for 11 minutes and do a 15 minute “natural pressure release.”
- Once 15 minutes passes, release the rest of the pressure and remove the lid to the Instant Pot.
- Fluff the rice with a fork or wooden spoon.
- Distribute into meal prep containers
Tips for making perfect white rice
- If you want to make sure your rice comes out fluffy, give your rice a quick 1 minute rinse under cold water to remove any excess starch.
- You can also add an additional 1/2 cup of water to the rice to make it a little fluffier
- To make sure the rice doesn’t stick to itself, you can add a tablespoon or butter or oil to the water before cooking the rice in the pressure cooker
Recipe frequently asked questions
Basmati is a long grain white rice that has a slight aromatic flavor. It’s used in many Indian recipes.
You do not have to rinse the rice first. If you skip rinsing the rice, the rice may be a little “sticky” but it’s still delicious if you want to be lazy and skip that step
Per the USDA database, in each 100g serving of basmati rice the are 148 calories, 3.52g protein, 32.39g carbohydrates, 0.7g of fiber, 0g sugar, 14mg calcium, and 42mg potassium.
Yes, rice is naturally gluten free
Yes, basmati is a long grain white rice
In the Instant Pot it cooks for 11 minutes on low pressure and then another 15 minutes while the pressure is naturally released.
There are 148 calories per 100g serving
There are 32.39g of carbs per 100g serving
Instant Pot Basmati Substitutions
If you don’t have basmati rice, you can substitute either long grain white rice or jasmine rice. If you’d rather swap basmati rice for something lower carb, try this cilantro lime cauliflower rice recipe.
What to serve with basmati rice
You can also serve basmati rice with this sheet pan chicken and vegetables recipe.
How to reheat and store cooked basmati rice
- To reheat cooked basmati rice, place it on a microwave safe plate or dish and microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- When I make basmati rice it’s typically for meal prep, so I store it in these glass meal prep containers.
Basmati Rice Instant Pot Instructions & Video
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
In the instant pot place the rice, water and salt. Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure to set the knob to sealed.
Hit “manual,” and choose low pressure. Cook rice for 11 minutes and do a 15 minute “natural pressure release.”
Once 15 minutes passes, release the rest of the pressure and remove the lid to the Instant Pot.
Fluff the rice with a fork or wooden spoon.
Recipe makes 6, 1/2 cups servings of cooked rice.