A lot of people think that eating healthy is expensive but it doesn't have to be. I wanted to start a weekly thread showing that eating healthy doesn't have to cost a lot and can be delicious too! My first post, Wallet Friendly Wednesday-Turkey Potato Dish is one of my go to dishes.
This dish is easy to make and cooks pretty quickly. There are two ways to make this dish, one from all fresh ingredients and the other from frozen vegetables.
I opted to make mine from fresh ingredients since I already had most of the ingredients at home. Oh and if you haven't already noticed there are a bunch of pictures in this post and that's because I found a cool little feature on my phone where it will focus in on a point in the picture and blur out the rest, so you've been warned.
And a close up......
Add some onions
And another close up 🙂
Personally I like to eat 6-7 small meals per day so this is a perfect lunch portion for me.
Now to the part that you are waiting for...How much did this cost???
- 6 red potatoes $0.90 ($2.99 for a 5# bag at Aldi's)
- 1 14oz Jennie-O Turkey Kielbasa $2.50 (on sale at Publix)
- Yellow and Red bell peppers $2.29 for the 2 pack (Aldi's)
- 1 Sweet onion $0.50 ($2.49 for 5)
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (fresh from the garden)
- Rosemary (fresh from my herb garden)
The recipe serves 5 with a cost of $1.24 per serving
You can substitute the fresh pepper and onions for Birdseye's frozen onion & pepper mixture (this goes on sale all the time at local super markets). You can also substitute the fresh red potatoes for frozen sliced red potatoes to cut down on the cooking time.
So for less than 5 Quarters you can have a delicious, colorful, and healthy meal and since there are 5 servings, this is perfect to bring to work and re-heat for lunch.
Wallet Friendly Wednesday-Turkey Kielbasa Potato Dish
- 1 14 oz packet of Jennie-O Turkey Kielbasa
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 6 medium red potatoes
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Fresh Rosemary
- Montreal Seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 450F
- Line Cookie sheet the Aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Clean and wash 6 medium red potatoes
- Slice Potatoes into 1 inch by ½ in slices (I cut them first long ways and then short ways)
- Place potatoes on cookie sheet
- Dice fresh rosemary and then sprinkle on top of potatoes (you may also place the potatoes in a zip lock bag along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the fresh rosemary to have the rosemary stick better, but I opted to skip the oil for a lighter dish)
- Next dice the onion, and peppers (I removed the seeds from all of the peppers but you may keep the seeds of the Jalapeños if you like your food on the spicier side)
- Sprinkle the diced peppers and onions on top of your potatoes.
- Next removed your turkey Kielbasa from its packaging and slice into ⅓ inch sliced and place them on top of your pepper, onions and potatoes.
- Sprinkle Himalayan sea salt and Montreal seasoning to your liking.
- Next Cover the baking sheet tightly with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes remove the foil and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!