THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFO.
It’s almost fall! I’m so excited!!! I really love the Summer, but down here in Florida it is extremely hot! Like you walk outside and immediately start to sweat hot. Sweating in a cute little bikini at the beach is totally fine, but when you are sweating in work clothes which you will be wearing for the next 8 hours, I’m not too fond of that. Since it’s still Summer for a few more weeks (Fall officially starts September 23rd in the northern hemisphere if you were wondering), I thought I’d bring Fall to you in the form of this delicious Heart Apple Pie Recipe. Just a little disclaimer. I was given 2 samples of Freekeh Food free of charge for this product review and giveaway. The content and opinions expressed here are my own 🙂 So what exactly is Freekeh? My thoughts were, “What the Freek is Freekeh” hahaha. I seriously had never even heard of Freekeh before doing this review. Freekeh is a process which means “to rub” in Arabic. Freekeh was created by accident nearly 2,000 years ago when a Middle Eastern village was attacked and their crop of young green wheat was set ablaze. Most folks would sulk over their misfortune, but the crafty villagers rubbed off the chaff, cooked it up and “Eureka!” Freekeh was created. We’re proud to offer you this tasty, nutritious ancient grain with a funny name. *NOT GLUTEN FREE* Freekeh has up to three times the fiber and protein found in brown rice, and fewer calories than quinoa and white rice. Freekeh is a great choice to use in recipes you already enjoy, from salads, to soups, to main dishes—the cook times are comparable to brown rice, so it’s easy to choose Freekeh! Now on to the recipe. This Hearty Apple Pie Recipe is packed with extra protein and fiber from the Freekeh. It’s super easy to make and only has 5 ingredients! [Tweet “You must try this Hearty Apple Pie Recipe #ad #GetYourFreekehOn #LoveFreekeh #Freekeh #sweatpink @FreekehFoods”]
Yields 1 pie
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 Cup Original Freekeh (cooked as directed on package)
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 1/3 cup powdered stevia extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie extract
- 1 pie crust
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Cook Freekeh as directed on package. Scoop out 1 cup cooked Freekeh and place the rest in a container and store in your refrigerator.
- Cut apple into small think pieces (mine were around 1in x 1in x 0.25in)
- In a bowl combine the cut up apple, stevia extract, pumpkin pie spice and cooked Freekeh.
- Line pie dish or whatever container you choose to make your pie in with the pie crust. Press down firmly. I chose smaller containers so I could put some crust on the top too without adding a whole bunch of extra calories.
- Cook for 25 minutes with a piece of aluminum foil laid on top of the pie (just lay it over loosely so heat will still circulate).
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into or eating.
- COOKING TIMES VARY DEPENDING ON CONTAINER
Do you want to try Freekeh? Enter below for your chance to win a sample of Freekeh. Use the rafflecopter below to enter and in the comments tell me which variety you would like to try (Original, Tamari or Rosemary Sage).